Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Where I Come From

Faeto, Italy. Chances are if you are here reading this, it is because you Googled where your Grandpa, Great Grandma or another relative came from. Welcome, there are many more where you came from. My Grandfather was Pasquale Vito Petitti and he came from Faeto to Chicago. That's where I am now. In Chicago meeting a relative I met through my cooking blog Sweetie Petitti. When I wrote about Faeto, people started sending me messages. So we are going to start convening here. Many years ago in Chicago there was a Faeto picnic, these immigrants were very close to each other. Now, we descendants are all over the map, and we need to pool our info. I'm not sure how this will all work. But I will blog whatever I find. I will scan the photos, the documents and pass along info. My dream is a Faeto picnic in Chicago summer 2012. A chance to meet, share info and celebrate this tiny little town in Puglia that brought us all here. So please bookmark here, come back often and lets see what happens!

5 comments:

  1. We too are looking to Faeto for information regarding great-grandparents. My wife's grandfather Vito Marella emigrated from Faeto around 1908 at age 17 or so and married Maria Pettitti (b.3/29/1891)daughter of Antonio Pettitti from Foggia area. Possibly some connection with both families being somewhat common around Faeto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Capozziello, Daddono and Spinelli are my family from Faeto. I plan on making a trip in the next year or two. I'm hoping to talk to some people from the town before I get there... My family came over from Faeto to Chicago in the late 1800's and early 1900's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing research for a family history class and I discovered that my great great grandfather, Nicola Fighola, was from Faeto. He came over to Delaware in 1902, when he was about 12 years old. I don't know much else about him or his family before my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I just found this blog! My grandmother Lydia Alterio moved to NY from Ripabottoni but lived first in Faeto. The story is that my great grandfather, Pasquale Alterio was very well known in the Campobasso region as a preacher. He was of all things, baptist! He would travel between Campobasso and Faeto and Ripabottoni monthly, he was referred to as "doctore", although he was not what we would consider a doctor today, lol. He was married to Angelina Reda and together they had 5 children. After they moved to the US, they had an orphanage in NY. I would love to know if anyone knows of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Wayde. Pretty cool. Pasquale and Angelina actually owned and operated a nursing home in Northvale. NJ. Your Mom would spend many weekends there. She also communicated very well in Italian with both but as you may know my father would not allow Ma to speak at home in fear she would not learn English as quickly as the other children in her school.

    ReplyDelete